For the month of August I kept telling my husband nearly every day that I had been fighting the Revolutionary War all over again. And in a way, I was.
As part of the NHPRC grant, we had the microfilm of our American Revolution collection digitized. The problem was the microfilm was done before the collection had been organized in its current configuration. The file names of the digital images did not match any of the folders in the 11 boxes of manuscripts! So I, and an intern from Simmons, Jennifer Sweet, spent hours trying to match the documents in each folder with its digital image. What someone had called a “return” on the microfilm could now be in a folder labeled “muster rolls” or some thing else altogether. My favorite was the digital file entitled “American Revolution”—I found those items distributed in at least six folders in the reorganized collection. I nearly yelled “I surrender!”
To date, we have managed to gather more than ¾ of the digital images into their current respective folders. Now if I could just track down that pesky last ¼ . Maybe this will be a job for the next Simmons intern.