All of our educational programs have been designed to meet the goals and objectives of the Connecticut Elementary and Secondary Social Studies Frameworks and Common Core State Standards. Our programs are inquiry-based and help develop skills in close observation, evidential reasoning, and critical thinking. Click here to download a PDF of the curriculum connections chart.
Our museum tours and outreach programs are also great for non-school youth groups, such as Scout troops, church groups, social service agencies, and after-school programs.
How to schedule a program:
- All school and youth groups must make a reservation. In fairness to all our visitors, programs must be scheduled in advance. Group size limits vary and are listed with the individual program descriptions.Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (860) 236-5621 x232 for more information or to schedule a program.
Times and Days:
- School group tours are scheduled Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm.
- School outreach programs are scheduled Monday through Friday, allowing for morning transportation time from Hartford.
- After-school, Scout, and youth group tours and programs are also available later in the day and on some Saturdays.
- Costs vary with the type of the program and are listed with the individual program descriptions.
- There is a minimum $50 fee per program.
- Fee reductions may be available for groups requiring financial assistance. Requests must be made in writing to email@example.com or Education Department, attn: Fee Reduction, Connecticut Historical Society, One Elizabeth Street, Hartford, CT 06105.
- We require 1 adult chaperone for every 10 students.
- A maximum of 1 adult for every 5 students is allowed.
- Chaperones are admitted free of charge.
- Visit our Homeschool page for information on Homeschool Days at the CHS.
- Please make arrangements in advance if your group would like to eat lunch at the CHS. You may picnic on our grounds for free. Inside lunch space may be reserved for a fee of 50¢ per student.
Museum Store Cart:
- Our museum store cart is available for students to purchase souvenirs ranging from 25¢-$10.
- We do not allow students in the regular museum store due to space and time constraints.
- Students may shop at the store cart during lunch, or add an extra 15-20 minutes at the end of your visit.
- We offer a selection of kid-friendly items that make perfect souvenirs of the trip!
- A written confirmation will be sent prior to your scheduled program.
- IN THE EVENT THAT YOU MUST CANCEL A TOUR OR PROGRAM, PLEASE CONTACT US AT LEAST ONE WEEK IN ADVANCE.
When you call, please have ready:
- Choice of program(s)
- Requested date (Please have 1-2 alternatives in mind)
- Requested start time
- Number of students (Check group size limits for desired program)
- Grade level
- Number of classes in the group
- Lunch/store cart reservation
- Any specific teacher goals for the program
- Special needs of students in your group