Join Speak Up founder, 45-time Moth StorySLAM champion, 6-time GrandSLAM champion, and best-selling author Matthew Dicks for a week of storytelling instruction culminating in a showcase performance where you can perform your story and show off your skills to a live audience.
This workshop – which will run Monday-Wednesday-Friday from 9:30-4:30 with a 60-minute lunch/writing break — will offer participants:
- detailed instruction on finding and crafting an entertaining, engaging story
- extensive modeling of story development and performance
- improv exercises that will help you find and develop new stories in your everyday life
- daily opportunities to practice storytelling in front of the class – both prepared stories and impromptu exercises
- constant, individualized feedback about your stories
- opportunities to revise and retell stories again and again
- one-on-one and small group conferences
Participants will come away from the week with at least 2-3 ready-to tell stories and the ability to generate new storytelling ideas, structure new stories for maximum impact, and apply an array of newly learned and well-practiced performance techniques for speaking to groups in any setting and for any purpose.
The week will culminate with an evening showcase on Friday night in which workshop participants will perform for invited guests.
Whether your desire is to take the stage and tell a story or improve your communication skills in the classroom or the workplace or overcome your fear of speaking in public, this workshop might be for you.
$550 for CHS members, $600 for non-members. Space is limited and pre-registration is required. Tickets can be purchased here.
Recent praise for Matt’s instruction:
There are inspirational moments in life that bring about meaningful change. Matt’s workshop is one of those moments. Fusing an educational framework with his powerfully personal stories, Matt creates a safe environment for participants to learn the art of storytelling. You will leave with a smile on your face and the ability to tell a story from a five-second moment in your life.
–- Monica Pierce
If there is such a thing as a story telling bug, I have been bitten by it! This workshop provided the perfect blend of stories, instruction, discussion, and practical experience. Matt is a masterful storyteller and teacher. I feel grateful to have had this opportunity and plan to do more.
– Allyn Stelljes