| VETERANS MEMORIAL |
Nathan Hale Cemetery
120 Lake Street
Type: Granite cube supporting 30-pound Parrot rifle
Height: 4', 4"
VETERANS MEMORIAL, Coventry, is significant historically because it is evidence of a desire on the part of the community to demonstrate honor and respect for its Civil War veterans. The municipal historian advises that no historical information about the memorial is at hand, an observation confirmed by the Booth-Dimock [Public] Library staff.
Artistic significance of VETERANS MEMORIAL, Coventry, is limited. The raised lettering in recessed panel appears to be good workmanship, and the curves of the top and back of the pedestal relieve the otherwise plain appearance. The long ogee curve at the rear is well-proportioned.
VETERANS MEMORIAL, Coventry, is located at the front of Nathan Hale Cemetery, east of the massive tall granite Nathan Hale obelisk. The cemetery encompasses seven acres, with a 400' street frontage, just west of South Coventry Center. Grade for the cemetery is four feet above the roadway, behind a handsome and well-constructed retaining wall of granite blocks. The memorial is dedicated to all Coventry men who served in the Civil War.
The monument consists of a plain granite base or pedestal and the cannon it supports, which is a 30-pounder Parrot rifle, facing southeast. The pedestal rests on a quarry-finished plinth which has tooled margins and smooth top surfaces. The top front edge of the pedestal is rounded, while its top rear edge is a long ogee curve. The top left front corner of the pedestal is fractured; a piece about 6 1/2" x 7 1/2" x 21" was broken off at some point in the past and fixed back in position with mortar.
The cannon is rusted, its surface pitted. Rust stains badly discolor the pedestal.
A triangular stone base of a former structure or object is in the ground several feet east of VETERANS MEMORIAL. Some 12 pipes extending upward from the three sides of the triangle formerly supported Parrot shells, in the shape of large long bullets, which were ammunition for the piece. The shells appear in a ca.1910 postcard, as reported by Stephen Coffey.
Front (southeast) face of pedestal, raised caps in recessed panel:VETERANS / 1861 - 1865
Muzzle of cannon, incised caps forming circle:4235. No 152, 1862. WDF A.M. 4.2
Right hub of cannon, incised caps:R. P.
Left hub of cannon, incised caps:30. R O P
Arnold Carlson, Coventry Municipal Historian, conversation, May 13, 1994.
Stephen Coffey, Enfield, specialist in Civil War ordnance, conversation, June 8, 1994.