Facility & Security ManagerPost Date: October 24, 2021
- Organization Name: Connecticut Historical Society
- Organization URL: https://chs.org
- Job Type: Part-time, 20 hours per week
- Contact Email Address: [email protected]
- Contact Phone Number: (860) 236-5621 x244
- Deadline: November 10, 2021
- Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
- Department: Administration
- Classification: Non-exempt
General Description: The Facility & Security Manager is responsible for managing the security, maintenance and physical upkeep of the Connecticut Historical Society. This part-time position manages Building & Grounds Manager and other contracted staff to secure and oversee ongoing maintenance functions such as contracted services, housekeeping, security and public safety. He/she is a member of the Administration Department and reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises Building and Grounds staff; plans and directs work, manages schedules and performance.
- Manage various contractors from initial contact to completion, and monitor their performance; negotiate favorable terms with contractors and suppliers; schedule work to ensure minimum disruption to core activities.
- Monitor and assist in the maintenance of the CHS facility and grounds including, but not limited to: roofs, drainage, mechanical, environmental, electrical, fire and security systems, as well as housekeeping using a combination of hands-on activity and vendor services.
- Coordinate and manage various capital improvement projects as they may arise from time-to-time, including space renovations, roofing repairs/replacements, HVAC enhancements, grounds keeping initiatives, and security system improvements.
- Propose and manage budget and make purchase recommendations to achieve the objectives of these functions.
- Manage and maintain Housekeeping & Maintenance schedules.
- Supervise contracted janitorial staff, schedule cleaning service back-up or perform duties in their absence.
- Manage the security function by monitoring all security cameras and responding as needed to incidents and emergencies posing a threat to staff and public safety; provide onsite security as needed and train volunteers and/or contracted security staff for weekends, events, and time off coverage. This position is on the “call list” maintained by security and environmental alarm central station(s).
- Maintain a keen awareness of the CHS buildings and grounds with an eye out for unusual activity anywhere on the property, manage same, and contact appropriate services and or CHS management.
- Implement and manage organizational moves and associated renovations.
- Help ensure that the premises meets health and safety requirements and that the facility is in compliance with regulations. Oversees ensuring the property is free of trash and debris.
- Manage contracted seasonal grounds and garden care including weeding, watering, pruning and snow removal.
- Respond to emergencies during and after work hours, taking appropriate action including calling contractors, law enforcement and notifying applicable CHS management and staff.
- As needed, assist the Building & Grounds Manager with room set-up and take down needs for meetings, facility rentals, programs and events as required.
- As needed, assist Building and Grounds staff in performing routine periodic maintenance such as light carpentry, plumbing, and painting.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Prior staff management a strong plus
- Good moral character, mature judgment, and a strong sense of responsibility
- High school degree or equivalent required, some college preferred
- 3 to 5 years’ relevant experience required. Knowledge of museums or historic buildings a plus
- Positive interpersonal style and skills for working well with a wide range of people
- Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- Ability to manage a varied and sometimes heavy workload
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision-making ability essential
- Strong management skills; supervisory experience preferred
- Good spoken and written communication skills
- Computer literacy with knowledge of email communication system
- Technical understanding of building systems, including, but not limited to HVAC equipment and controls and modern security systems
- Physically fit, strong enough to lift 50 pounds; ability to perform physical labor
- Work from a ladder
- Bilingual, Spanish-English a plus
- Must be able and available to work extra hours and a flexible schedule; some weekend work required and in case of emergency
- Reliable transportation and mobile phone required.
Compensation: High $20s/hour
Benefits: Eligible for employer and employee contributions to 403(b) plan and paid vacation and sick days.
Schedule: Part time, 4 hours per day, Monday through Friday. Scheduled hours morning or afternoon as agreed upon.
How to apply: Please email cover letter and resume to Susan Presutti, Director of Human Resources, [email protected], by September 22, 2021.
CHS is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.