Remembering G. Fox & Co.

« Back To Exhibit Home


The Store

G. Fox & Co. building, 406 to 410 Main Street, constructed in 1880.

G. Fox & Co. building,
406 to 410 Main Street,
constructed in 1880.

From a two-room store to an eleven-story building, G. Fox & Co. grew to become the largest privately-owned department store in the country. The G. Fox & Co. building at 950 Main Street in Hartford was the last in a succession of stores, each larger and more modern than the one before. In the 1950s, G. Fox & Co. underwent a $5 million expansion that included construction of a seven-story parking garage on Market Street. Expansion continued through the 1980s, only to slow when business at the downtown store began to decline.