October 29 opening reception to feature talk on cabinetmaker’s work and Windsor’s history
[HARTFORD and WINDSOR, Conn., October 12] – A beautiful oxbow-style chest of drawers, made and signed by preeminent Windsor cabinetmaker George Belden in 1803, will again take up residence on the same street as Belden’s former shop.
On October 29, the unique “swelled” bureau — purchased by the Connecticut Historical Society in April — will be unveiled in the Windsor Historical Society’s (WHS) “Bridging Centuries, Bridging Cultures” exhibit. CHS is loaning the piece to WHS for the exhibit, which will be on display for the next year.
Belden’s signature on the bureau opened a door to new research about the renowned Connecticut cabinetmaker. During the exhibit’s opening reception October 29 from 5:30 to 7 p.m. at WHS, Christina Vida, WHS curator for collections and interpretation, will share details of George Belden’s life and practice in Windsor from 1793 until the mid- 1830s. She’ll talk about the sources she has plumbed to reveal more about Belden and his world. Vida will also highlight other Connecticut Historical Society objects on loan that tell the stories of Windsor’s history and development.
The Connecticut Historical Society is also loaning a desk-and-bookcase, made around 1795 by Westfield, Mass.-based cabinetmaker Erastus Grant, for display in the WHS’s Dr. Hezekiah Chaffee House. The Erastus Grant piece augments the historic Chaffee House North Parlor and contributes to the story of this wealthy medical doctor.
The Windsor Historical Society is located at 96 Palisado Avenue, Windsor, Conn. 06095. Cost for the October 29, 5:30 to 7 p.m. opening reception of “Bridging Centuries, Bridging Cultures” and to visit the exhibit, open from October 30 through 2016, Wednesday — Saturday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., is $6 adults, $5 seniors and students, $4 WHS and CHS members. For information, call WHS at 860.688.3813 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Connecticut Historical Society
A private, nonprofit, educational organization established in 1825, the Connecticut Historical Society is the state’s official historical society and one of the oldest in the nation. Located at 1 Elizabeth Street in Hartford, the CHS houses a museum, library, and the Edgar F. Waterman Research Center that are open to the public and funded by private contributions. The CHS’s collection includes more than 4 million manuscripts, graphics, books, artifacts, and other historical materials accessible at our campus and on loan at other organizations. The CHS collection, programs and exhibits help Connecticut residents connect with each other, have conversations that shape our communities, and make informed decisions based on our past and present. For more information, visit chs.org.