Speak Up co-founder and 34-time Moth StorySLAM winner and four time GrandSLAM champion Matthew Dicks will be teaching a day-long workshop on the art of storytelling. This is a workshop designed for a wide range of people, including those with little or no previous storytelling experience.
While many workshop graduates have gone on to tell stories on stage for Speak Up, The Moth, and other storytelling organizations, most students take this beginner-level workshop with little or no desire to ever take the stage. They want to learn about storytelling for personal and professional development, to meet new people, to improve communication skills, to develop their writing ability, to challenge themselves, to finally get the attention of grandchildren, colleagues, or that special someone, or to simply try something new.
Included in this workshop will be:
• Methods for identifying the stories from your life that are best to tell and creating a system by which these stories can continue to be found and collected long after the workshop is finished
• Effective framing of a story
• Development of a strong, well defined arc
• Implementation of stakes
• Permissible, recommended “lies” of storytelling
• The importance and inclusion of cinema in storytelling
• The strategic use of humor in storytelling
This is a no-risk, low stakes introduction to storytelling that does not require students to tell stories or even speak if that’s what they prefer. If you’d like to dip a toe into storytelling and learn some of the most effective, easiest applied strategies to the finding and crafting of stories but you’re not yet ready to stand before an audience and speak, this workshop is a safe place for you to learn.
Due to the amount of information presented, there is very limited opportunity for participants to present stories of their own.
$85 CHS members, $95 non-members. Space is limited and pre-registration is required.
REGISTER ONLINE HERE.
Questions? Contact Natalie Belanger at (860) 236-5621 x289 or by email at [email protected].