Join 27-time Moth StorySLAM champion and four-time GrandSLAM champion storyteller Matthew Dicks for a week of storytelling instruction culminating in a showcase performance where you can perform your story and show off your skills to a live audience.
This workshop – which will run Monday-Wednesday-Friday from 9:00-4:00 with a two hour lunch/writing break — will offer participants:
• detailed instruction on the craft of storytelling
• story generation exercises that will help you find and develop new stories in your everyday daily life
• daily opportunities to practice storytelling in front of the class – both prepared stories and impromptu exercises
• constant, individualized feedback about your stories
• opportunities to revise and retell stories again and again
• one-on-one and in small group conferences (class size is very limited to allow for personal attention)
Participants will come away from the week with at least 2-3 ready-to tell stories and the ability to generate new storytelling ideas, structure new stories for maximum impact, and apply an array of newly learned and well practiced performance techniques for speaking to groups in any setting and for any purpose.
The week will culminate with an evening showcase in which workshop participants will perform for invited guests.
Whether your desire is to take the stage and tell a story or improve your communication skills in the classroom or the workplace or overcome your fear of speaking in public, this workshop might be for you.
$325 for CHS Members, $350 for non-members
Recent praise for Speak Up storytelling workshops with Matthew Dicks:
• Matt is a kind and gentle instructor as well as a riveting storyteller. Whether you want to tell a story on stage someday, or just want to be entertained and educated on the subject, you will not be disappointed.
• Highly recommended if you want to develop skills or hone them with the goal of telling a short personal narrative. Matt is clear, honest, straight to the point and humorous, and enormously supportive.
• This workshop environment allows participants to enjoy discovering and cultivating meaningful stories that were there in our pasts all along. The workshop kindles creativity and excitement about the lives we all live — lives which may seem typical at times but which actually demonstrate how refreshing it is to share our seemingly typical experiences through stories. The workshop allows each participant an opportunity to laugh, ask questions about story craft, and to recollect how valuable, memorable and relatable small pieces of our lives are, not only to ourselves. A great place to enjoy authentic moments with strangers, hear and share true and fascinating tales.