Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Job Type: Part-time, 10 hours per week
General Description: The Accounting Assistant is responsible for all payroll, accounts payable, and accounts receivable activities for the Connecticut Historical Society Museum. Payroll responsibilities consist of verifying time records, making appropriate payroll changes (ex. salary adjustments, insurance adjustments, name and address changes), entering the payroll data, transmitting and approving the payroll, and verifying data from ADP reports to insure accuracy.
Accounts payable responsibilities includes entering all new accounts payable items into the accounting system, setting up new vendors, preparing a list of outstanding payables for payment selection, running and mailing payables checks, and filing payables information in the appropriate folder.
Accounts receivable responsibilities involve billing and tracking functions for each CHS department that generates earned income activity.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Verify time and attendance records as submitted from each CHS employee
- Receive and verify wage and salary rates and adjustments including calculating retro pay
- Insure the accuracy of annual leave and sick time calculations for each employee
- Input, transmit and verify payroll information
- Receive, code and enter all invoices sent to the accounting department for CHS
- Produce a list of outstanding payables for review by the department head
- Issue checks for the selected payables based upon the payment decisions of the department head
- Match checks to the appropriate invoices and mail checks to the vendors
- File paid invoices and vendor information in the correct vendor file
- Receive and enter manually prepared invoices into AccuFund software for mailing or emailing
- Post payments from customers against outstanding invoices
- Prepare aging reports as needed for auditors and supervisors
- Follow-up with CHS department heads for delinquent accounts
Other duties as assigned.
- Three to five years of similar experience required, particularly with payroll processing
- Prior work experience and knowledge of a non-profit environment is a plus
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain a good working relationship with staff and vendors
- Familiarity with third-party payroll applications required
Benefits: Eligible for participation in employee contribution to 403(b) plan.
Compensation: Low to mid $20s/hour
How to apply: Please email cover letter and resume to Susan Presutti, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, by July 17, 2020.
CHS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.