Title: Museum Educator
Job Type: Part-time (approx. 20 hours per week)
Reports to: Director of Education
Museum Educators are responsible for presenting dynamic, hands-on, inquiry-based tours, programs, and other educational activities to schools and community, youth, and adult groups at the Connecticut Historical Society, and at designated off-site venues. Museum Educators are responsible for assisting in the overall work of the Education Department and report to the Director of Education.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conducting museum tours and outreach programs for students in pre-K through grade 12 around a variety of themes related to school curricula.
- Leading related age-appropriate hands-on activities and primary source workshops.
- Assisting in set-up and clean-up for educational activities and the preparation of teaching materials, including preparing supplies and photocopying.
- Leading interactive and engaging tours of the museum’s exhibitions to museum visitors of all ages and abilities.
- Presenting traveling programs on a variety of topics to adults and senior citizens across the state.
- Assisting in the development of programs, as requested.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Director of Education.
- B.A. in history, education, American studies, or a related field preferred
- Excellent interpretive and communication skills with an ability to adapt lessons and tours to different ages, learning styles, and abilities
- Experience working with children and adults in a museum, school, or informal educational setting.
- Flexibility and willingness to test new educational methods
- Dedication to public service and a commitment to reaching diverse audiences
- Experience in and comfort with directing hands-on activities with children and families
- Reliability and personal organization to ensure that all commitments are met
- A collaborative team member
- Driver’s license and car for reimbursed travel to outreach programs
Compensation and Benefits
The position is budgeted at $14.35 per hour. The position is eligible for participation in CHS’s 403(b) retirement savings plan.
Please email cover letter, resume and three professional/manager references to Susan Presutti, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, by July 6, 2020.
The CHS is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer; minorities and women are encouraged to apply